Problem With Tomatoes
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
In the demonstration garden at the Curb Market there are several plant including tomatoes, okra, beans, peppers, cucumbers, squash and melons. The past few weeks one of the tomatoes in particular has been struggling to stay alive. As a horticulture agent, I was curious what was wrong with the plant.
From the looks of the plant it could just be that it isn’t getting enough water. The plant is wilting from the top down, which is typical of not getting enough water. The first thing I tried was giving it more water to help it perk back up. In fact the tomato seemed to get worse. There was no major spotting on the lower leaves, but there were some spots on the upper leaves. Spots on the upper leaves would be consistent with a plant struggling to get water, but not getting enough to the upper leaves. That leaves the root system. I pulled the plant out of the ground to check out the root system.
This was not a good sign. The bumps on the roots would indicate Root Knot Nematode was the culprit causing the plant to struggle at getting water to the upper leaves. Because I have the equipment, I cut one of the roots open to see if I could find the nematodes. Eureka!
There it is in the lower right part of the root, barely hanging onto the root. That is a Root Knot Nematode female that was inside the root. For inquiring minds, there were also root knot nematodes on the okra, and beans. The peppers were not checked.
It looks like this winter there will be a cover crop of mustard to help suppress the nematode population. Winter rye could also work, but it produces a lot of biomass that may not be good for this highly visible garden. With the small size of the garden everything could be pulled and a piece of clear plastic used to cover the garden to solarize it (a strong possibility, now that I think about it). This fall a sample will be taken to see how high the nematode levers are. Next year vegetable varieties that are resistant to Root Knot Nematodes will be planted.
For more information on Root Knot Nematodes or if you suspect you may have a problem with them in your garden contact the Extension Master GardenerSM Volunteers in your county.